1. The Administrator of the WTC Health Program receives a petition from an interested party to add a condition to the condition to the List of WTC-Related Health Conditions.
2. Within 90 days of receipt of the petition, the Administrator must do one of the following:
- Request a recommendation of the Scientific/Technical Advisory Committe (Stac)
The STAC has 90 days after the date of the request from the Administrator or no later than a date specified by the Administrator (but not more than 180 days after the request), to provide a recommendation (including the basis for the recommendation) to the Administrator. If the Administrator decides to publish a proposed rule or a determination not to publish a proposed rule in the Federal Register, it will be done no later than 90 days after the date of the STAC recommendation.
- Publish a proposed rule to add such health condition in the Federal Register
The proposed rule will provide interested parties a period of 30 days to submit written comments on the proposed rule. The Administrator may extend the comment period for good cause.
- Publish in the Federal Register the Administrator's determination not to publish a proposed rule and the basis for that determination
- Publish in the Federal Register a determination that insufficient evidence exists to take action on the petition
Note: The Administrator is required to consider a new petition for a condition previously determined not to qualify for addition to the list of WTC-related health conditions only if the new petition presents a new medical basis (i.e., not previously reviewed) for the association between the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks and the condition to be added.