Interactive Systems Framework
Closing the Gap Between Science and Practice in the Division of Violence Prevention
There is a well-known gap between science and practice. To address this gap in the areas of child maltreatment and youth violence, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) embarked on a dissemination and implementation planning project. The project aimed to identify better ways to connect research and practice through literature reviews and discussions with experts on violence prevention and research utilization.
Listed below are the six foundational articles of the special issue of the American Journal of Community Psychology, Volume 41, 2008, devoted to addressing this research to practice gap.
- Saul J, Wandersman A, Flasphler P, Duffy J, Lubell K, Noonan R. Research and action for bridging science and practice prevention. [PDF 49KB] American Journal of Community Psychology 2008, 41(3–4):167–170.
- Wandersman A, Duffy J, Flaspohler P, Noonan R, Lubell K, et al. Bridging the gap between prevention research and practice: the interactive systems framework for dissemination and implementation. [PDF 84KB] American Journal of Community Psychology 2008, 41(3–4): 171-81. [PDF 84KB]
- Saul J, Duffy J, Noonan R, Lubell K, Wandersman A, et al. Bridging science and practice in violence prevention: addressing ten key challenges. [PDF 135KB] American Journal of Community Psychology 2008, 41(3-4): 197–205.
- Collins CB Jr, Edwards AE, Jones PL, Kay L, Cox PJ, Puddy RW. A comparison of the Interactive Systems Framework (ISF) for Dissemination and Implementation and the CDC Division of HIV/AIDS Prevention's Research-to-Practice model for behavioral interventions [PDF 221KB]. American Journal of Community Psychology 2012;50(3-4):518-29.
- Flaspohler P, Lesesne CA, Puddy RW, Smith E, Wandersman A. Advances in bridging research and practice: introduction to the second special issue on the interactive system framework for dissemination and implementation [PDF 237KB]. American Journal of Community Psychology 2012;50(3-4):271-81.
- Noonan RK, Wilson KM, Mercer SL. Navigating the road ahead: Public health challenges and the interactive systems framework for dissemination and implementation [PDF 430KB]. American Journal of Community Psychology 2012;50(3-4):572-80.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
National Center for Injury Prevention and Control (NCIPC)
4770 Buford Hwy, NE
Atlanta, GA 30341-3717
TTY: (888) 232-6348
New Hours of Operation:
- Contact CDC-INFO