Requirements & Laws
On This Page:
- State immunization laws database (updated regularly)
This tool lets you navigate a database of vaccination laws by state for health care workers, patients, and residents of long term care facilities. It specifies which vaccines are required and what type of assessment is required.
- State mandates on immunization and vaccine-preventable diseases
Source: Immunization Action Coalition
Lists vaccination mandates for school entry, health care workers, and residents of long term care facilities, listed by vaccine.
- View all...
All states allow medical exemptions for persons who have medical contraindication to vaccination. Most states allow religious exemptions and some allow philosophical/personal belief exemptions.
- Vaccination exemptions
Source: History of Vaccines
- A statement regarding personal belief exemption from immunization mandates [PDF - 88KB, 7 pages]
Source: Pediatric Infectious Disease Society (Mar 2011)
- Personal belief exemptions for vaccination put
people at risk. Examine the evidence for yourself.
[PDF - 131KB, 2 pages]
Source: Immunization Action Coalition (Oct 2010)
- Chapter 13, Vaccination Mandates: The Public Health Imperative and Individual Rights
- Vaccination Requirements and Exemptions
Source: University of Pennsylvania Center for Bioethics
There is no Federal requirement for informed consent relating to immunization. For state and local regulations, check with your local or state health department.
Content last reviewed on June 20, 2011
Content Source: National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases