Educational Materials for Professionals
- Know the Signs and Symptoms of Stroke
- State Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention Program Addresses Stroke
- High Blood Pressure
National Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention (NHDSP) Program
- NHDSP Program Addresses High Blood Pressure
- NHDSP Program in Health Care Settings to Prevent Heart Disease and Stroke
Data and Statistics
- Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS)
Information about health conditions and behaviors in the United States from the BRFSS, the world’s largest ongoing telephone health survey.
Statistics on public health topics; links to sources of additional data and related Web pages.
- Heart Disease and Stroke Statistics 2009 Update [PDF-2MB]–American Heart Association
- Heart Disease and Stroke Maps
County-by-county rates of heart disease and stroke mortality and hospitalization in the United States. View by state, racial/ethnic group, and gender. CDC collaborates with each state to produce the maps.
- Atlas of Stroke Hospitalizations Among Medicare Beneficiaries
The Atlas of Stroke Hospitalizations among Medicare Beneficiaries is the fifth in a series of CDC atlases related to cardiovascular disease. It was developed in collaboration with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, and includes county-level maps of stroke hospitalizations by stroke-subtype, race/ethnicity, discharge status, and co-morbidity. Maps of hospital facilities and stroke specialists are also included.
Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reports
- Paul Coverdell National Acute Stroke Registry Surveillance—Four States, 2005–2007
- Prevalence and Most Common Causes of Disability Among Adults—United States, 2005
- Awareness of Stroke Warning Symptoms—13 States and the District of Columbia, 2005
- Prehospital and Hospital Delays After Stroke Onset—United States, 2005–2006
- Prevalence of Stroke—United States, 2005
- Place of Death After Stroke—United States, 1999–2002
- Disparities in Deaths from Stroke Among Persons Aged <75 Years—United States, 2002
- Regional and Racial Differences in Prevalence of Stroke—23 States and District of Columbia, 2003
- Racial/Ethnic and Socioeconomic Disparities in Multiple Risk Factors for Heart Disease and Stroke—United States, 2003
- Differences in Disability Among Black and White Stroke Survivors—United States, 2000–2001
Guidelines and Recommendations
- Seventh Report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure
Provides evidence-based guidelines about preventing and managing high blood pressure. From the National Heart, Blood, and Lung Institute.
- Third Report of the Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III)
Provides evidence-based guidelines about screening for and treating high cholesterol. From the National Heart, Blood, and Lung Institute.
- Clinical Guidelines on the Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults
Provides evidence-based guidelines about screening for and treating overweight and obesity. From the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.
- Physical Activity and Health: A Report of the Surgeon General
The first Surgeon General’s Report specifically addressing physical activity and health.
- Surgeon General's Reports Related to Tobacco Use
Links to reports concerning smoking and health, including reports on involuntary exposure to tobacco smoke and on tobacco use among ethnic minority groups.
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans
Provides authoritative advice about good dietary habits that can promote health and reduce risk of disease. Published jointly every five years by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and the Department of Agriculture (USDA). The 2010 guidelines are being developed.
- U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF)
An independent panel of experts in primary care and prevention that systematically reviews the evidence of effectiveness and develops recommendations for clinical preventive services.
- Successful Business Strategies to Prevent Heart Disease and Stroke Toolkit
Provides information, materials, and tools that state programs can distribute to businesses.
- Markers of Inflammation and Cardiovascular Disease: Application to Clinical and Public Health Practice. A Statement for Healthcare Professionals from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the American Heart Association.
Published in the journal Circulation.
- Guide to Community Preventive Services
The Community Guide summarizes what is known about the effectiveness, economic efficiency, and feasibility of interventions to promote community health and prevent disease.
- Paul Coverdell National Acute Stroke Registry—Stories from the Field
Each Coverdell-funded state has identified unique ways to meet the goals and objectives of the Coverdell program. This document outlines creative approaches developed by states and highlights lessons learned. These strategies from the field are intended to illustrate the ways in which Coverdell states are addressing stroke care. The information can be used by Coverdell-funded states as well as states that are not funded by Coverdell but are interested in implementing a stroke registry.
- The Roadmap: A Systematic Approach to State Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention Programs
The Roadmap is a Web-based resource for training and information to help build the competencies needed by state Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention (HDSP) Program coordinators. It provides suggested steps for carrying out requirements of the HDSP Program as well as easy online access to training, tools, and other resources needed for successful program development and implementation. The Roadmap offers information on four key areas of programmatic activities for developing and implementing a heart disease and stroke prevention program, including What to Do and How to Do It.