The best way to prevent pertussis is to get vaccinated. There are vaccines for infants, children, preteens, teens and adults. The childhood vaccine is called DTaP, and the pertussis booster vaccine for adolescents and adults is called Tdap. Talk to your healthcare provider about getting vaccinated against pertussis and read more about pertussis prevention.
For Those Getting Vaccinated
- Pertussis Vaccine Basics
Offers comprehensive offers information about pertussis vaccines and other educational tools.
Pregnancy and Whooping Cough
Learn more about whooping cough vaccination during pregnancy...
- Pregnancy and Whooping Cough
Information about getting Tdap while pregnant and other ways to protect infants from whooping cough.
- Td or Tdap Vaccine "What You Need To Know"
This one-page CDC vaccine information statement explains who should get Td or Tdap vaccine and when.
- DTaP Vaccine "What You Need To Know"
This one-page CDC vaccine information statement explains who should get DTaP vaccine and when.
- Vaccine Safety
- Who Should Not Be Vaccinated with DTaP or Td-Tdap?
Clinical Information for Healthcare Professionals
Pertussis references and resources, provider education tools, and materials for patients
- Letter to Providers: Tdap and Influenza Vaccination of Pregnant Women [2 pages] OCTOBER 9, 2014
- Pertussis: Summary of Vaccine Recommendations
Table of DTaP and Tdap Vaccine Recommendations across the Lifespan
- Clinical Information on Pertussis-Containing Vaccines
- Tdap for Pregnant Women
- Evaluating Revaccination of Healthcare Personnel JUNE 2015
- Vaccine Recommendations
- References & Resources
- Provider Education
- Materials for Patients
The National Immunization Survey (NIS) is a large, on-going survey of immunization coverage among U.S. pre-school children (19 through 35 months of age). In conjunction with the NIS, CDC also conducts the NIS-Teen (13 through 17 years of age) and the NIS-Adult.
School MandatesTop of Page
- Page last reviewed: August 28, 2013
- Page last updated: June 3, 2015
- Content source: