Frequently Asked Questions
Will I be paid?
Yes. Fellows earn a federal service salary at pay grades 9, 11, or 12, depending on qualifications. See the Salary Table for more information.
Will I be a CDC employee?
Yes. You will be a full-time employee of CDC during the fellowship.
Will I receive benefits?
You will receive the same employment benefits as other full-time CDC employees (such as medical insurance and vacation).
Are international candidates eligible for PMF?
No. You must be a U.S. citizen.
Will I be required to relocate?
It depends on your assignment which may be located in one of the following cities:
- Atlanta, Georgia
- Hyattsville, Maryland
- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Cleveland, Ohio
- Denver, Colorado
- Washington, DC
Will I be required to travel?
Yes. Fellows are required to travel for
- OPM orientation in Shepherdstown, West Virginia
- CDC orientation in Atlanta, Georgia
Additional travel requirements vary by position.
Will this fellowship help me get a job?
Yes. The PMF is a career-oriented fellowship. After successful completion, fellows may become full-time employees in their targeted position. Many PMF graduates work in leadership roles within the federal government.
- Page last reviewed: December 31, 2008
- Page last updated: April 3, 2015
- Content source:
- Office of Public Health Scientific Services; Center for Surveillance, Epidemiology, and Laboratory Services; Division of Scientific Education and Professional Development