Oral health data systems monitor the prevalence of oral diseases and the factors influencing oral health, such as risky or protective behaviors, the availability of preventive interventions and utilization of preventive services. The systems bring together existing data from multiple national and state sources and present the data in useful and accessible formats for the broad community interested in promoting oral health. See how the data systems relate.
Additional information regarding Policies on Data Methods, Procedures, and Use.
Oral Health Data
- My Water's Fluoride
Find information about your local water system's fluoridation status. Currently available only for states that voluntarily participate in the Water Fluoridation Reporting System (WFRS).
- Synopses of State and Territorial Dental Public Health Programs (State Synopses)
View characteristics of and programs conducted by state and territorial oral health programs by year. Use tables or maps to see which states or territories have water fluoridation programs, dental sealant programs, oral health education programs, dental screening programs and more.
- National Oral Health Surveillance System (NOHSS)
Interact with tables, graphs and maps of oral health indicators by state. Compare a state to the nation or to another state on dental visits, dental cleanings or complete tooth loss, either overall or grouped by demographic characteristics. Compare water fluoridation status across previous years. See which states have met the Healthy People 2010 Objective for water fluoridation. Or, view all indicators for one state in the State Profile. Other state oral health data meeting the data standards may be added upon request from state dental directors.
- Oral Health Maps
Map water fluoridation status by state or county. View demographic characteristics of a selected state or county with more detailed water fluoridation information. Map indicators of oral health for children and adults by state.
- Water Fluoridation Reporting System (WFRS)
A water fluoridation monitoring tool for state and tribal water fluoridation program managers and oral health program directors or managers. This system requires special authorization for access. WFRS is the data source for the annual fluoridation information in the National Oral Health Surveillance System.
- My Water's Fluoride, NOHSS, Oral Health Maps, the Synopses, and WFRS were developed and are maintained through a collaborative effort with the Association of State and Territorial Dental Directors (ASTDD), an affiliate organization of the Association of State and Territorial Health Officers.
- The Chronic Disease Indicators (CDI) are a cross-cutting set of 97 indicators that were developed by consensus and that allows states and territories to uniformly define, collect, and report chronic disease data that are important to public health practice and available at the state level. In addition to providing access to state-specific indicator data, the CDI Web site serves as a gateway to additional information and data resources. CDI includes three indicators for adult oral health - past year dental visit, past year dental cleaning, and total tooth loss - and other indicators for health behaviors and risk factors associated with oral health.
- Page last reviewed: September 23, 2014
- Page last updated: September 23, 2014
- Content source: