(Save file to your computer in order to view speaker notes)
Use of this Slide Set
As a federal publication, this slide set is copyright-free and can be used by public and private entities as is, without special permission, but please do not alter the format. If format is altered, the CDC logo must be removed.
This slide presentation provides recommendations for preventing and controlling infectious diseases and managing personnel health and safety concerns related to infection control in dental settings. The presentation describes a CDC report entitled Guidelines for Infection Control in Dental Health-Care Settings2003. This report 1) updates and revises previous CDC dental infection control guidelines; 2) incorporates recommendations from other relevant CDC guidelines (e.g., Guideline for Hand Hygiene in Health-Care Settings); and 3) discusses concerns not addressed in previous recommendations for dentistry (e.g., management of occupational exposures, selection and use of safer dental devices, latex allergy, and dental water quality).
The goals of the slide presentation are to:
- Provide information about dental infection control principles and
- Emphasize the importance of written policies and procedures and
ongoing education and training of dental health care personnel (DHCP).
- Provide methods for evaluating dental infection control programs.
After viewing this presentation, participants should be able to:
- Describe modes of disease transmission and the chain of infection.
- Identify strategies that can prevent occupational exposures to blood
and body fluids.
- Describe methods to ensure that patient care items and environmental
surfaces are safe for use.
- Identify methods to monitor practices and evaluate dental infection control programs.
Suggested Citation: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Guidelines for Infection Control in Dental Health-Care Settings2003.
Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
Postal mail address:
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Division of Oral Health/Infection Control
Mailstop F10 4770 Buford Highway NE
Atlanta, GA 30341
One or more documents on this Web page is available in Microsoft PowerPoint (PPT). You will need PowerPoint Viewer to view and print these documents.
Page last reviewed: October 2, 2009
Page last modified: November 6, 2007
Content source: Division of Oral Health, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion