CDC collaborates with internal and external partners to improve timeliness and accuracy of laboratory test result reporting for reportable conditions at the state and federal level.
Key functions and Activities
- Support meaningful use, allowing primary care providers to improve the quality of care for all patients;
- Support the Public Health Laboratory Interoperability Project (PHLIP) so that public health laboratories can electronically share data in a secure and standard manner;
- Provide leadership for the Public Health Laboratory Interoperability Solutions and Systems Architecture Project (PHLISSA) so the CDC can participate with its public health laboratory partners in sharing electronic data;
- Support the Laboratory Efficiencies Initiative (LEI) so that states can utilize informatics solutions to gain efficiencies in day to day operations;
- Develop specimen collection inventory management tools to enable the CDC to accurately manage stored specimens;
- Assist the Laboratory Response Network (LRN) with sharing results generated within the LRN and BioWatch programs in a secure and standardized manner;
- Provide leadership for the development of a CDC Enterprise Architecture Laboratory Segment to provide a structure for future laboratory systems projects that will allow for an integrated approach to laboratory informatics within the CDC.