This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
These pages contain the contents of the Surgeon General's Report on Physical Activity and Health. You can download PDF for Adobe Acrobat or PostScript versions of each chapter by clicking on the appropriate link at the top of the chapter's page. You may also download a PDF of the entire report [PDF-1587KB] , or purchase a printed copy by sending in the order form.
- Introductory Information
- Chapter 1 : Introduction, Summary, and Chapter Conclusions
- Chapter 2 : Historical Background, Terminology, Evolution of Recommendations
- Chapter 3 : Physiologic Responses and Long-Term Adaptations to Exercise
- Chapter 4 : The Effects of Physical Activity on Health and Disease
- Chapter 5 : Patterns and Trends in Physical Activity
- Chapter 6 : Understanding and Promoting Physical Activity
- List of Tables and Figures and Index (PDF-200K) or (PS-463K)
- Page last reviewed: November 17, 1999 (archived document)
- Content source: