Appendix A: Search and Evidence Acquisition for the Guidance
The National Guideline Clearinghouse database was searched for current recommendations and guidelines using the keyword combinations:
- (substance abusers OR drug users) AND (HIV prevention)
- (substance abusers OR drug users) AND (Tuberculosis prevention OR TB prevention)
- (substance abusers OR drug users) AND (sexually transmitted diseases prevention OR STDs prevention)
- (substance abusers OR drug users) AND (Hepatitis C prevention OR viral hepatitis prevention)
- (substance abusers OR drug users) AND (mental disorders prevention)
The MEDLINE_OVID search for the literature on integration was broken down into three sections each with MeSH and key words: disease or treatment (HIV, STD, TB, substance abuse, and mental disorder), drug use, integration (index term delivery of health care, integrated)
Disease or treatment
- HIV Infections/
- HIV infection$.ti,ab
- HIV infected.ti,ab
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases/
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases, Bacterial/
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases, Viral/
- Sexually transmitted disease$.ti,ab
- Hepatitis, Viral, Human/
- Hepatitis C/
- Hepatitis B/
- Substance abuse Treatment Centers/
- (Substance or drug$) adj2 (treat$).ti,ab
- Substance Abuse, Intravenous/
- Heroin Dependence/
- Cocaine Related Disorders/
- Opioid-Related Disorders/
- Substance Related Disorders/
- Drug User/
- ((cocaine or heroin or crack or meth or opioid or inject$ methamphetamine or drug or substance) adj2 (abus$ OR addict$ OR use$ or dependence)).ti,ab
- (idu or idus or ivdu or ivdus).ti,ab.
- Delivery of Health Care, Integrated/
- 18, 27, and 30
- Limit to 2000–2011
Use of trade names and commercial sources is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by the U.S. Department of
Health and Human Services.
References to non-CDC sites on the Internet are
provided as a service to MMWR readers and do not constitute or imply
endorsement of these organizations or their programs by CDC or the U.S.
Department of Health and Human Services. CDC is not responsible for the content
of pages found at these sites. URL addresses listed in MMWR were current as of
the date of publication.
All MMWR HTML versions of articles are electronic conversions from typeset documents.
This conversion might result in character translation or format errors in the HTML version.
Users are referred to the electronic PDF version (http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr)
and/or the original MMWR paper copy for printable versions of official text, figures, and tables.
An original paper copy of this issue can be obtained from the Superintendent of Documents, U.S.
Government Printing Office (GPO), Washington, DC 20402-9371;
telephone: (202) 512-1800. Contact GPO for current prices.
**Questions or messages regarding errors in formatting should be addressed to