Health and Safety Tips:
- Test your home for radon gas. If levels are above the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency action level, install a radon mitigation system.
- Have gas appliances professionally installed, vented outside, and checked annually for carbon monoxide leaks.
- Install smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors on every floor, including basements.
- Store pesticides and chemicals out of reach of children to prevent poisoning.
- Control rodents and insects by sealing holes and gaps in floors and walls to keep pests out and reduce pesticide use.
- Clean up clutter to prevent rodents and insects from finding places to nest.
- Keep water heater temperature set at 120°F to prevent scalds.
- Prevent fall injuries by installing stair rails.
- Keep cleaning supplies out of reach of children.
- Page last reviewed: March 3, 2014
- Page last updated: May 19, 2014
- Content source:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention