Guide to Infection Prevention for Outpatient Settings: Minimum Expectations for Safe Care
All evidence-based recommendations for prevention of healthcare-associated infections can be found at the CDC/HICPAC website.
Guidelines available at this webpage include:
- 2008 Guideline for Disinfection, and Sterilization in Healthcare Facilities
- Guidelines for Environmental Infection Control in Healthcare Facilities [PDF - 1.4 MB]
- Guideline for Hand Hygiene in Healthcare Settings [PDF - 496 KB]
- 2007 Guideline for Isolation Precautions: Preventing Transmission of Infectious Agents in Healthcare Settings [PDF - 3.80 MB]
- Guideline for the Prevention of Surgical Site Infection, 1999
- Influenza Vaccination of Health-Care Personnel, 2006 [PDF - 628 KB]
- Guideline for Infection Control in Healthcare Personnel 1998 [PDF - 1.4 MB]
Key Links for Additional Information
- CDC Website on Healthcare-associated infections
- CDC Website on Hand Hygiene in Healthcare facilities
- CDC Website on Injection Safety
- CDC Website on Influenza
- CDC additional resources
- Barie PS. Infection Control Practices in Ambulatory Surgical Centers. JAMA. 2010;303:2295-2297
- National Center for Health Statistics. Heath, United States, 2009: With Special Features on Medical Technology. Hyattsville, MD. 2010.
- Hsiao CJ, Cherry DK, Beatty PC, Rechsteiner EA. National Ambulatory Medical Care Survey: 2007 summary. National health statistics reports; no 27. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics. 2010.
- Halpern MT, Yabroff KR. Prevalence of Outpatient Cancer Treatment in the United States: Estimates from the Medical Panel Expenditures Survey (MEPS). Cancer Investigation. 2008;26:647-651.
- Maki DG, Crnich CJ. History Forgotten is History Relived: Nosocomial Infection Control is also Essential in the Outpatient Setting. Arch Int Med. 2005;165:2565-2567.
- Jarvis WR. Infection control and changing health-care delivery systems. Emerg Infect Dis 2001;7:17-173.
- Williams IT, Perz JF, Bell BP. Viral hepatitis transmission in ambulatory health care settings. Clin Infect Dis 2004;38:1592-1598.
- Goodman RA, Solomon SL. Transmission of Infectious Diseases in Outpatient Health Care Settings. JAMA. 1991;265:2377-2381.
- Thompson ND, Perz JF, Moorman AC, Holmberg SD. Nonhospital Health Care-Associated Hepatitis B and C Virus Transmission: United States, 1998-2008. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2009;150:33-39.
- CDC. Bacterial Meningitis After Intrapartum Spinal Anesthesia – New York and Ohio, 2008-2009. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2010; 59(3):65-69.