Content on this page was developed during the 2009-2010 H1N1 pandemic and has not been updated.
- The H1N1 virus that caused that pandemic is now a regular human flu virus and continues to circulate seasonally worldwide.
- The English language content on this website is being archived for historic and reference purposes only.
- For current, updated information on seasonal flu, including information about H1N1, see the CDC Seasonal Flu website.
2009-2010 Influenza Season: Update for Pharmacists
September 30, 2009, 1:45 PM ET
On September 22, 2009, CDC first issued Information for Pharmacists providing:
- Background information on influenza activity to date in the United States and information on how increased and possibly severe and prolonged activity this season may affect pharmacists;
- An update on antiviral drug supplies;
- Information about compounding an oral suspension from Tamiflu® 75mg capsules if commercially manufactured oral suspension formulation is not readily available and the ingredients needed to compound; and,
- Information about the oral dosing dispenser provided with certain formulations of Tamiflu® oral suspension.
This document contains updated information:
Supply of Ingredients Needed to Compound Tamiflu
- Tamiflu® capsules 75 mg may be compounded using either of two vehicles: Cherry Syrup (Humco®) or Ora-Sweet® SF (sugar-free) (Paddock Laboratories).
- As of September 29, 2009, these products may be in short supply in some locations if there is increased use in compounding of an oral suspension from Tamiflu 75mg capsules.
- Additional information regarding the supply of these products is posted at the FDA website.
- Paddock Laboratories reports that they have increased production of Ora-Sweet® SF and they are releasing new production daily to customers.
- Humco® reports that they have increased production of Cherry Syrup and that they are releasing new production weekly to wholesalers. If pharmacists are having difficulty obtaining Humco® Cherry Syrup, they may contact Humco® directly to locate supplies at 1-800-662-3435.
- CDC will provide additional information and updates as needed.
Get email updates
To receive weekly email updates about this site, enter your email address:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
1600 Clifton Rd
Atlanta, GA 30333
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- Contact CDC-INFO