About Meaningful Use
The American Reinvestment & Recovery Act (ARRA) was enacted on February 17, 2009. ARRA includes many measures to modernize our nation's infrastructure, one of which is the "Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act". The HITECH Act supports the concept of Electronic Health Records
National Meaningful Use Public Health Focused Forums
The following forums foster collaboration among public health jurisdictions, EHR vendors, national public health organizations, and other stakeholders to support the widespread adoption of EHRs for meaningful use and to improve population and public health. For more information on these initiatives and recurring webinars use the links provided.
- Community of Practice (CoP) for Leveraging Federal Financial Participation (FFP) for Medicaid Health Information Technology (HIT) Activities
( http://www.phconnect.org/group/cop-leveraging-ffp-for-medicaid-hit-activities )
- Joint Public Health Forum and CDC Nationwide Webinar
- Public Health (PH) - Electronic Health Records (EHR) Vendors Collaboration Initiative
( http://www.phconnect.org/group/public-health-ehr-vendors-collaboration-initiative )
Meaningful Use Public Health Technical Assistance Team
The CDC and ONC have a team to help resolve issues and answer questions related to the public health objectives in Meaningful Use. To request assistance regarding issue or to submit question, please email Meaningfuluse@cdc.gov with “Request for Technical Assistance” in the Subject line.
Stage 3 MU Recommendations
Stage 2 Meaningful Use Resources
Stage 2 MU Public Health Reporting Requirements Task Force
For information on this task force and to access the guidance documents, please visit PhConnect
Summary of Public Health Objectives in Stage 2 Meaningful Use Final Rules
CMS Stage 2 Final Rule
- Stage 2 Overview Tipsheet
- Stage 1 vs. Stage 2 Comparison Table for Eligible Professionals
- Stage 1 vs. Stage 2 Comparison Table for Eligible Hospitals and CAHs
- Stage 1 Changes Tipsheet
- 2014 Clinical Quality Measures Tipsheet
ONC 2014 Edition Final Rule
Stage 2 Meaningful Use Fact Sheets
Stage 1 Meaningful Use Fact Sheets
Public Health Options
The following public health objectives are included in Stage 2 MU. For specific information, guidance, and instructions on reporting data to public health for these objectives, eligible professionals (EPs), eligible hospitals (EHs), and critical access hospitals (CAHs) need to contact their state or local public health agency, immunization registry, or cancer registry. The CDC is not a recipient of data from EPs, EHs, or CAHs for MU.
Immunization Information Systems (IIS) are confidential, population-based, computerized information systems that attempt to collect vaccination data about all individuals within a geographic area.
Syndromic surveillance allows public health to monitor syndromes, or collections of symptoms, over time to quickly and accurately detect outbreaks or monitor diseases, disorders, or conditions.
Reporting to registries is an integral part of improving population and public health. The Meaningful Use Stage 2 regulations added a new public health related menu (optional) objective for Eligible Professionals, the capability to identify and report specific cases to a specialized registry, other than a cancer registry.
Electronic Laboratory Reporting (ELR) is the electronic transmission from laboratories to public health of laboratory reports which identify reportable conditions.
Cancer reporting to public health central cancer registries is a new menu (optional) objective for Eligible Professionals in Meaningful Use Stage 2.
In The Spotlight
- New EHR Meaningful Use Learning Resources are now available. Access these recorded educational webinars here.
2014 December 8
- Coming Up! Special Webinar on "2014 Ebola Response in U.S.- Using Travel History within Clinical Workflow"
Find out more here.
2014 October 16
- New ONC Final Rule for the 2014 Edition Release 2 EHR Certification Criteria (2014 Edition Release 2) and the ONC HIT Certification Program. Find the new Final Rule here.
2014 September 11
- New CMS Final Rule allows flexibility in certified EHR technology (CEHRT) for 2014 for providers who are unable to fully implement 2014 Edition CEHRT in 2014 due to delays in CEHRT availability. Find the new Final Rule here.
2014 September 9
- North Carolina Division of Public Health shares the User Guide for their MU Registration of Intent web portal. Find the guide here.
2014 August 8
- Stage 2 MU Public Health Reporting Requirements Task Force members have shared example templates for MU related communications between PHAs and MU eligible providers. Find these templates here.
2014 May 27
- North Carolina and Pennsylvania public health agencies have shared tools used to support onboarding of hospitals for the MU Stage 2 Reportable Lab Results objective. Find these tools here.
2014 April 21
- MU Stage 2 Public Health Readiness - The Association of Public Health Laboratories (APHL) has compiled a list of state specific Stage 2 Public Health reporting readiness based on information from public health agency websites. Access the APHL list here.
2014 March 27
- CMS filed information collection notice for the Public Health MU Readiness Registry. Comments are due by April 8. Read the notice and instructions for commenting here.
2014 March 21
- Are you looking for the Guides/Artifacts Proposed for the Public Health objectives in the Voluntary 2015 Edition EHR Certification? Please click here.
2014 March 6
- Public Health (PH) - Electronic Health Records (EHR) Vendors Collaboration Initiative. For information on this initiative, meeting schedules, and materials from prior meetings, please visit the phConnect community’s site here.
2014 February 26
The Office of the National Coordinator for Health IT (ONC) published the Voluntary 2015 Edition EHR Certification Criteria (“2015 Edition”) Proposed Rule in the Federal Register on February 26, 2014. ONC will accept comments on the proposed rule through April 28, 2014.
2014 February 26
- ONC recently developed two artifacts providing a basic overview of the Stage 2 Public Health Objectives for eligible providers and hospitals. EP Leave Behind EH Leave Behind
2014 February 26
- Interoperability and Public Health – A new Meaningful Use related online training course offered by ONC. Access the course here.
- PHIN Messaging Guide For Syndromic Surveillance: Emergency Department, Urgent Care And Inpatient Settings, Release 1.9 (April 2013) is now available on the CDC Meaningful Use Syndromic Survelliance Website
- Page last reviewed: September 16, 2014
- Page last updated: September 16, 2014
- Content source: