About Meaningful Use
The American Reinvestment & Recovery Act (ARRA) was enacted on February 17, 2009. ARRA includes many measures to modernize our nation's infrastructure, one of which is the "Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act". The HITECH Act supports the concept of Electronic Health Records
National Meaningful Use Public Health Focused Forums
The following forums foster collaboration among public health jurisdictions, EHR vendors, national public health organizations, and other stakeholders to support the widespread adoption of EHRs for meaningful use and to improve population and public health. For more information on these initiatives and recurring webinars use the links provided.
- Joint Public Health Forum and CDC Nationwide Webinar
For additional information check at - http://www.phconnect.org/group/joint-public-health-forum-cdc-nationwide Transitioning to- Joint Public Health Forum & CDC Nationwide(http://www.cdc.gov/ehrmeaningfuluse/joint-public-health-forum--cdc-nationwide.html)
- Public Health (PH) - Electronic Health Records (EHR) Vendors Collaboration Initiative
For additional information check at http://www.phconnect.org/group/public-health-ehr-vendors-collaboration-initiative Transitioning to- Public Health – EHR Vendors Collaboration Initiative (http://www.cdc.gov/ehrmeaningfuluse/public-health-ehr-vendors-collaboration-initiative.html)
- Community of Practice (CoP) for Leveraging Federal Financial Participation (FFP) for Medicaid Health Information Technology (HIT) Activities
( http://www.phconnect.org/group/cop-leveraging-ffp-for-medicaid-hit-activities )
Please note: This CoP completed its charge on August 28, 2015 and transitioned the work to ASTHO. Please seek more details at http://www.astho.org/
- Meaningful Use (MU) Public Health (PH) Reporting Requirements Task Force- This Task Force has started work to develop consensus guidance around the new process requirements for Modified Stage 2 (2015-2017), and Stage 3 Meaningful Use. PHAs preparing for MU now will have access to guidance documents created by this collaborative Task Force to implement the new processes, such as declaration of readiness, registration of intent, on-boarding/ongoing submission and acknowledgement processes. PHAs across the nation will be able to adopt this guidance according to their jurisdictional needs. For information this task force and access to the guidance documents , please visit http://www.cdc.gov/ehrmeaningfuluse/meaningful-use-mu-public-health-ph-reporting-requirements-task-force.html .
Meaningful Use Public Health Technical Assistance Team
The CDC and ONC have a team to help resolve issues and answer questions related to the public health objectives in Meaningful Use. To request assistance regarding issue or to submit question, please email Meaningfuluse@cdc.gov with “Request for Technical Assistance” in the Subject line.
Stage 3 MU and Mod Rule (2015-2017) Resources
Stage 3 MU Specific Resources- Coming soon!
Stage 2 Meaningful Use Resources
Summary of Public Health Objectives in Stage 2 Meaningful Use Final Rules
CMS Stage 2 Final Rule
- Stage 2 Overview Tipsheet
- Stage 1 vs. Stage 2 Comparison Table for Eligible Professionals
- Stage 1 vs. Stage 2 Comparison Table for Eligible Hospitals and CAHs
- Stage 1 Changes Tipsheet
- 2014 Clinical Quality Measures Tipsheet
ONC 2014 Edition Final Rule
Stage 1 Meaningful Use Fact Sheets
Stage 2 Meaningful Use Fact Sheets
Stage 3 Meaningful Use Fact Sheets
- Coming soon!
Public Health Options
The following public health objectives are included in Stage 2 MU. For specific information, guidance, and instructions on reporting data to public health for these objectives, eligible professionals (EPs), eligible hospitals (EHs), and critical access hospitals (CAHs) need to contact their state or local public health agency, immunization registry, or cancer registry.
While the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) is not a direct recipient of data from healthcare providers, the Eligible Professionals (EPs), the Eligible Hospitals (EHs), or Critical Access Hospitals (CAHs) for the Electronic Health Records (EHRs) Meaningful Use (MU) Medicare and Medicaid Incentive Programs, there is a new option per the final rule on modifications to Meaningful Use in 2015 through 2017; National Health Care Surveys can be used to meet the specialized registry public health reporting objective. EPs, EHs or CAHs can now use submission of data to CDC’s National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) for the National Health Care Surveys as one of the measures to meet their public health objectives requirements under the Electronic Health Record Incentive Programs.
Immunization Information Systems (IIS) are confidential, population-based, computerized information systems that attempt to collect vaccination data about all individuals within a geographic area.
Syndromic surveillance allows public health to monitor syndromes, or collections of symptoms, over time to quickly and accurately detect outbreaks or monitor diseases, disorders, or conditions.
Reporting to registries is an integral part of improving population and public health. The Meaningful Use Stage 2 regulations added a new public health related menu (optional) objective for Eligible Professionals, the capability to identify and report specific cases to a specialized registry, other than a cancer registry.
Electronic Laboratory Reporting (ELR) is the electronic transmission from laboratories to public health of laboratory reports which identify reportable conditions.
Cancer reporting to public health central cancer registries is a new menu (optional) objective for Eligible Professionals in Meaningful Use Stage 2.
Antimicrobial Use and Resistance Reporting
For 2018, NHSN Antimicrobial Resistance and Antimicrobial Use reporting has been identified as a new option for public health registry reporting under Meaningful Use Stage 3.
Health Care Surveys
The National Health Care Surveys are designed to answer key questions of interest to health care policy makers, public health professionals, and researchers.
In The Spotlight
- Looking for information to register for the next Zika Virus Disease webinar for Health IT Developers. Please click here.
- CMS has recently released additional FAQs for guidance on meeting Public Health Objective for 2015 EHR Reporting Period. For more details click here
- New!- A) 2015 Edition Health Information Technology (Health IT) Certification Criteria, 2015 Edition Base Electronic Health Record (EHR) Definition, and ONC Health IT Certification Program Modifications Final Rule – October 6, 2015
B) CMS recently released a final rule that specifies criteria that eligible professionals (EPs), eligible hospitals, and critical access hospitals (CAHs) must meet in order to participate in the Medicare and Medicaid Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Programs. The final rule’s provisions encompass 2015 through 2017 (Modified Stage 2) as well as Stage 3 in 2018 and beyond.
- Final Federal Health IT Strategic Plan 2015-2020 Released
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC), in collaboration with over 35 federal partners, has released the updated Federal Health IT Strategic Plan 2015–2020 (Plan).
2015 September 23
- CMS released a proposed rule for Modifications to Meaningful Use in 2015 through 2017 for the Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs for public comment. Access this proposed rule here.
2015 April 30
- ONC released the proposed rule for 2015 Edition Health IT Certification Criteria for public comment. Access this proposed rule here.
2015 March 25
- CMS released the proposed rule for Stage 3 for the Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs for public comment. Access this proposed rule here.
2015 March 25
- CMS published several new Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) related to the Meaningful Use public health objectives. Find these new FAQs here.
2015 March 25
- New EHR Meaningful Use Learning Resources are now available. Access these recorded educational webinars here.
2014 December 8
- Coming Up! Special Webinar on "2014 Ebola Response in U.S.- Using Travel History within Clinical Workflow"
Find out more here.
2014 October 16
- New ONC Final Rule for the 2014 Edition Release 2 EHR Certification Criteria (2014 Edition Release 2) and the ONC HIT Certification Program. Find the new Final Rule here.
2014 September 11
- New CMS Final Rule allows flexibility in certified EHR technology (CEHRT) for 2014 for providers who are unable to fully implement 2014 Edition CEHRT in 2014 due to delays in CEHRT availability. Find the new Final Rule here.
2014 September 9
- North Carolina Division of Public Health shares the User Guide for their MU Registration of Intent web portal. Find the guide here.
2014 August 8
- Stage 2 MU Public Health Reporting Requirements Task Force members have shared example templates for MU related communications between PHAs and MU eligible providers. Find these templates Here.
(Note: Templates updated 12/16/2014)
2014 May 27
- North Carolina and Pennsylvania public health agencies have shared tools used to support onboarding of hospitals for the MU Stage 2 Reportable Lab Results objective. Find these tools here.
2014 April 21
- Page last reviewed: March 31, 2016
- Page last updated: March 31, 2016
- Content source: